Aug 15, 2009

Combining Crafts

Before taking up jewellery making the only craft I ever really did was crochet. I made some quite elaborate doilies as centre pieces for dining tables and I also made a few jumpers. When I moved to Australia I found my ability to do my craft was suddenly very restricted - mainly because of the hot weather. You try keeping an even tension when the fibre you are feeding through your fingers keeps sticking because your hands are too sweaty!

Having taking up jewellery making I soon realised that there was actually a way to combine the two crafts - jewellery could be crocheted both with fibre and, more to the point as far as not sticking was concerned, with wire.

I have since made several pieces of jewellery by crocheting, mainly with beads and wire, but also on a couple of occasions with fibre.

Here are a few examples:

3 comments:

Night Sky said...

It's no secret that I have always been in awe of your jewelry work! I hadn't realized that you actually crochet with wire! Beautiful results!!

Unknown said...

Lovely work. I especially like the turquoise necklace! Great design!

Cheers!
http://juliemagerssoulen.blogspot.com

Danielle from Beautiful Schlopp Glass said...

I love them! I've seen a couple crocheted wire bracelets before, but these pieces surpass anything I've ever seen! They're beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails