Jan 20, 2010

Venturing Into Goldfill

After a few years of making sterling silver jewellery I decided it was time to make my first foray into gold fill jewellery.

As you may or may not know, with gold fill, 12 or 14k gold is bonded to a central core, usually brass. The proportion is usually 1/20th or 5%. This cover of gold is so much thicker than with gold plate and so will not wear away. Gold fill is more expensive than sterling silver, but works out as a very good (and cheaper) alternative to solid gold.

I finally bought some gold fill wire, just 2 different gauges, with my last sterling order and have now completed my first piece of gold fill jewellery.

So, without further ado - my Gold and Tanzanite Tear Drop Earrings!

1 comment:

Amalou said...

These are beautiful Sharon. I love the gold and purple/lavender combination.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails